UA → GA4. Less than 1 year until Universal Analytics (UA) deactivation
Back in 2000 Google has officially announced its plans from July 1, 2023.opt out of the version of Google Analytics known as Universal Analytics or GA3.
- In the old UA version, the data is based on sessions and page views (Pageview), while the GA4 measurement model is based on Events and Parameters. For each type of behavior to be measured, a new GA4 event will need to be defined, which will have additional information (page name, user location, etc.).
- Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is a next-generation analytics tool designed to measure the user journey and behavior on one or more websites and/or mobile apps. In the old version, web page and app data had to be analyzed separately.
- UA focused on how many users came, while GA4 focused on what users did. The limit of 10 million/month visits (sessions) has been removed in the new version, but up to 500 events are allowed.
- It should also be noted that the operation of GA4 is based on artificial intelligence, so in the long run the system will be able to show a more accurate portrait of the user, his actions and habits, and even predict future actions, explain when and why sales increase.
- Export your accumulated data reports from the old version of UA and do not lose the accumulated historical data. UA reports will be available until the end of January 2024. (You will see the exact date in the Analytics system, and you will also be notified by email).
We recommend migrating to the new version Google Analytics 4 in advance. There are significant differences in the data structure between UA and GA4, so you will not be able to transfer data from the old version to the new version. You will not only need to install new GA4 code, but also create new events. We’re confident that the sooner you create your new GA4 account and start collecting data there, the more historical data you’ll have, ensuring continuity when Universal Analytics is no longer available.
- How to check which version you are using: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/11583832
- More about the differences between UA and GA4 data models:https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/9964640?hl=lt#zippy=%2C%C5%A1iame-straipsnyje-pateiktos-toliau-nurodytos-skiltys
- Transition from UA to GA4: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/10759417
- Comparison of Google Analytics 4 and Universal Analytics metrics: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/11986666?hl=en&sjid=13564433382124864198-EU – zippy=,šiame-straipsnyje-pateiktos-toliau-nurodytos-skiltys,in-this-article